Senior User Experience Design Manager
CRM, Data, Neuron, Fortellis and Design Operations
Leading a global team of 35+ design managers, product designers and researchers, UI engineers, contractors, design and research operations focused on disrupting the automotive dealership industry.
- Simplifying Experiences
- Leading the design of simpler product experiences across the portfolio that work for the user.
- Designing unified experiences that work the same in all products.
- Measuring experiences with usability tests, SUS, and analytics.
- Reporting all CDK Product Team’s progress to the Board of Directors.
- Developing Design Talent and Culture
- Improved job descriptions so that designers have measurable expectations.
- Created inclusive career opportunities by defining job descriptions that measure outcomes not years of experience.
- Created the Design Principal role so that senior designers have an alternative path to management.
- Mentored early to senior designers, researchers, manager, and executive leadership by providing career and business guidance.
- Accessible Design System
- Lead the redesign and development of the Product Design Language and Design System. The new design system is accessible, WCAG 2.2 AA compliant, and has improved product usability of all CDK Products.
Adjunct Associate Professor of User Experience
Multiple semesters from 2015 to Current
Taught Introductory to User Experience, Design Research, Product Design and Career Lab courses so that students grow in their design practice. Coach students on the practice of design and how to build a career.
User Experience Architect
(11 mos) August 2018 to June 2019
Created a user-centered product development life cycle across three cross-functional product teams so that teams understood and empathized with real-world users and their experiences.
- Researched and designed a photo editing and management experience that improved usability and solved user pain points for dealers.
Director of Product Design
(4 mos) 2018 to July April 2018
Led the product design transition of thick client product to SaaS by breaking down of the feature sets into sprint-sized deliverables and prioritizing work to meet deadlines.
Senior User Experience Design Manager
Watson Health: Life Science & MobileFirst
(3 yr 8 mos) September 2014 to April 2018
Built, led, and managed three product teams that discovered and delivered product experiences using machine learning and artificial intelligence.
- Leadership and Design Strategy
- Validated the product concept of Watson for Patient Safety by evaluating existing solutions in market, confirm busines and user need.
- Design Manager of the Watson for Patient Safety team of 125+ cross-functional and multiple business units designers and engineers. Responsible for managing client relationships, design process, and delivery timelines.
- Product Design and User Outcomes
- Lead a 10-month redesign of six unusable and unsellable tools into Watson for Drug Discovery. WDD reduced gene discovery for diseases like Cancer, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and MS from 18 months to 2 weeks.
- Lead the design of Watson for Patient Safety that increased consistency and reduced adverse event reporting from weeks to days.
- Identified an epistemological mismatch between human understanding and machine learning. Designed a strategy to support the mismatch that allowed users to test the technology and build trust with users.
Senior Interaction & Visual Design Engineer
(3 yrs 2 mos) August 2011 to September 2014
Partnered with product teams to design solutions that demystified and simplified the complexity of managing Servers, Thin Clients and Mobile Devices.
- Process Improvements
- Reduced bottlenecks and dependences on design by transforming the team’s process and focusing design on features with value and impact.
- Pain Points Discovery
- Identified an unrecoverable product workflow that created hours of rework for a user. This discovery influenced the adoption of user-centered design across the entire business unit.
- Design System
- Collaborated across divisions to create Dell’s product design system which included design principles, guidelines, and code.
eCommerce Web Designer II
(3 yrs 11 mos) October 2007 to August 2011
Work across the business units to design solutions that maintain a consistent user experience and corporate brand across multiple customer touch points.
- Lead the visual redesign of the e-commerce consumer experience.
- Collaborated across the team to translate business and shoppers needs into workflows, wireframes and visual designs that removed complexity barriers.
- Managed all mobile accessories website launches including directing photo shoots, editing images and copy editing.
(1 yr) February 2006 - January 2007
Design Manager and senior designer responsible for designing, maintaining, updating and creating identity systems, websites, email, literature, catalogs, and advertising for clients in the banking, apparel, and engineering industries.
- Concept, test, design and produce all client web sites and electronic marketing, including email blasts and online surveys.
- Manage the workflow of projects through the creative and production processes, monitoring progress, maintaining timelines and budgets.
Marketing and Design Manager
(6 yrs 4 mos) October 1999 - February 2006
Managed the marketing and brand team responsible for branding, marketing strategy and maintained department budget.
- Updated and managed the corporate identity and marketing materials including print, video, web, training, and trade show exhibits.
- Managed marketing projects from concept to production. Coordinating vendors and teams to reduce production time, cost and dependency.